Call for Showpieces
Showpieces offer an interactive opportunity to show off your ideas or accomplishments to the VL/HCC community. Formerly called “posters and demonstrations”, the category has expanded to also include videos, downloadable apps, handouts, electronic devices, physical prototypes, or any other artifacts that facilitate meaningful interactions with other conference attendees.
- Submission deadline: June 28, 2019
- Acceptance notification: July 8, 2019
- Camera-ready deadline: July 12, 2019
Topics and purpose of showpieces
A broad range of topics are appropriate for showpieces. The following non-exhaustive list illustrates the possibilities:
- Current research in progress
- Results presented in the main VL/HCC conference
- Results already presented at another conference or published in a journal
- Existing commercial products and/or services
- Efforts aimed at integrating research into education
- Efforts aimed at commercializing research
Showpieces can help accomplish many goals, such as:
- Helping graduate student presenters to meet faculty from other universities
- Demonstrating to industry sponsors that a specific line of research has practical applications
- Building community interest in a novel way of approaching a research topic
- Showcasing products or services available for sale
- Starting conversations that could lead to new collaborations
Submitting a showpiece
Each submission will consist solely of a PDF file, following standard IEEE Conference Proceedings format. The PDF must have up to 2 pages in length, plus up to 2 additional pages containing only acknowledgements and an appendix of only figures, plus unlimited pages for references. In addition to the title, abstract and author list, a submission must contain the following information (although it is not necessary to explicitly structure the submission as such):
- Content and claims – Describe the technical content of a showpiece, such as a research result, an effort to integrate research with education, an existing product, etc. Include any claims or conclusions which follow.
- Relevance – Explain why this content will be of interest to the VL/HCC community, highlighting any novelty.
- Presentation – Describe how the showpiece will be presented, for example, in a video, poster, app, or device.
- References are not required but may be included if doing so helps to communicate the topical content, claims, novelty, or relevance.
Note: the submission is not the showpiece. The showpiece itself does not need to be submitted, nor does it need to exist when the PDF is submitted. For example, if the showpiece will be a video, then the video does not need to be submitted with the PDF. If the showpiece does not yet exist, Part 4 of the PDF should simply explain what showpiece will be created to present the relevant content.
Submissions are due by Friday 12th July 2018 and should be done through the EasyChair system at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=vlhcc2019.
Reviewing — publishable vs. non-publishable
Non-publishable submissions will be reviewed based on two criteria:
- (a) relevance and interest to the VL/HCC community
- (b) intelligibility of the submission.
Submissions accepted as non-publishable submissions will not be included in the proceedings.
The publishable showpieces category is a venue for peer-reviewed, archival quality papers. Specifically, publishable submissions will be reviewed based on the criteria above as well as the following:
- (c) novelty
- (d) significance
- (e) validity of any claims or conclusions stated.
Thus, publishable submissions should be at an appropriate standard to be included in the conference proceedings as archival papers. They should make standalone contributions that are intelligible even in the absence of the actual showpiece.
Submitters may opt to have publishable submissions omitted from the proceedings, in case they wish to avoid any possibility of a prior-publication issue with a future archival publication. If this is the case, please email the showpieces chair.
If a submission fails to meet the criteria for publication, but could be accepted as a non-publishable submission, then we may suggest switching the submission to be non-publishable. For example, a submission presenting work that already will be appearing elsewhere in the main conference would be a reasonable non-publishable submission, but it might not meet the novelty criterion required for a publishable submission.
Publication and presentation
Publishable poster submissions that are accepted to be included in the VL/HCC proceedings will appear on the IEEE Xplore Digital Library website, provided that at least one author registers for the conference and that the camera-ready copy is submitted by Friday 9th August 2019.
The VL/HCC program will include one showpiece session. During this session, showpieces will be presented in a large room simultaneously by many different presenters, with each presenter allocated a specific assigned space for presenting a showpiece. Internet connectivity, chairs, and table space will be available, as well as wall or easel space for hanging a poster. Showpiece presenters are expected to bring all other materials and equipment required, including any computer hardware required for presenting the showpiece. In addition, showpieces’ authors will have time during the main conference to advertise their work. This will allow them to give wide visibility to their work and also to motivate VL/HCC participants to attend their demonstration.
For further information
Contact the Showpieces Chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sandeep Kuttal, University of Tulsa, USA
- Jácome Cunha, University of Minho & NOVA LINCS, Portugal
VL/HCC 2019 Important Dates
All deadlines are by the end of the day Anywhere on Earth.
|Workshop/Tutorial Proposals||Submission Deadline||Fri 29 Mar|
|Workshop/Tutorial Proposals||Decision Notifications||Mon 15 Apr|
|Papers||Abstracts-Only Deadline||Mon 22 Apr|
|Papers||Submission Deadline||Mon 29 Apr|
|Papers||Initial Review Period||Tue 30 Apr – Fri 24 May|
|Papers||Initial Discussion Period||Sat 25 May – Thu 30 May|
|Papers||Preliminary Notifications||Fri 31 May|
|Papers||Author Response Period||Fri 31 May – Fri 7 June|
|Papers||Author Responses Deadline||Fri 7 June|
|Papers||Final Review Period||Sat 8 June – Fri 14 June|
|Papers||Final Decision Notifications||Mon 17 June|
|Showpieces||Submission Deadline||Fri 28 June|
|Showpieces||Decision Notifications||Mon 8 July|
|Graduate Consortium||Application Deadline||Fri 28 June|
|Graduate Consortium||Decision Notifications||Mon 8 July|
|All Tracks||Camera-Ready Deadline||Fri 12 July|
|All Tracks||VL/HCC 2019 Symposium||Mon 14 Oct – Fri 18 Oct|